MEATLESS MONDAY: rainbow chard & pasta

Sep 24, 2012



Hello dears! I am writing from London. It's been the second day of my cooking adventure at The Modern Pantry. Let me just say: I am so exhausted... It's like my bones have their own will, they won't want to get off of the couch, ever again. They just plan to sit here, forever, relying on people to take care of me and feed me... 

But also - and that's certainly the more interesting part - I am experiencing so many good things! After only two days, I've learned how to make really good, soaked, nicely shrunk breakfast pleotus mushrooms (the English way) and breakfast tomatoes, inari filled with a fennel mix, fish cakes, potato mash, parsnip mash and a proper salsa verde - the Modern Pantry way. I've watched the chefs closely (whenever possible, in between my fetching, cleaning, washing, chopping, mincing, slicing and dicing job...), and just by watching I am taking so much in. My head is already full to the brim with inspiration... And I slowly get to understand the processes in a professional kitchen (slooooowly). Okay, also, I cut myself (for the first time, and hopefully for the last...). That wasn't so good. But obviously, cuts and bruises and burns are simply part of a chef's life (like Luca, the sous chef, said). 

Stay tuned for more aspirational chef's insights! Ciao for now!

RAINBOW CHARD & PASTA

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 medium bowl differently colored rainbow chard
  • 2 garlic cloves, sliced
  • 2 tbsp. rosemary needles, chopped
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced
  • 1 pinch chili flakes
  • 1 tsp. acacia honey
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 pinch Maldon sea salt
  • Spaghetti or any other pasta, cooked
  • Handful black olives, pitted, minced
  • Handful cherry tomatoes, halved

METHOD

  1. Wash and clean the chard. Separate the leaves from the stems. Slice the stems in 2cm large pieces and do the same with the leaves.
  2. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan. Add the garlic slices and fry for 2 minutes, until golden. Remove and place on some paper towel to soak up the excess olive oil.
  3. Sautee the stems in the frying pan with the olive oil, adding the rosemary, chili, honey and salt, for about 3 minutes, until softened. Then add the chard leaves as well. Cook until soft.
  4. In the meantime, cook the pasta of your liking. Drain and drizzle with a bit of olive oil. If you can, add a bit of the pasta cooking water to the chard pan. 
  5. Put the garlic back to the chard pan, add the lemon juice and season with more salt or pepper to taste. If you are adding no pasta, stop here, and serve the chard as a side dish.
  6. If you want to make a whole meal out of it, continue by adding the tomato halves and the olives to the pan, stir to heat through. Combine the chard with the pasta. 

2 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy and easy to make. Rainbow chard is so beautiful with the colors that it adds to a dish. Great job!

    Would love it if you followed me on bloglovin!

    www.livedreamerly.com

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like such a colourful, appetising plate of food - yum! It sounds like you're having quite the adventure too, it must be an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete

I see each and every comment I receive and try to respond to all my lovely readers. Thanks so much for taking a moment to drop a note. Conversation and community are two of my favorite things. But please leave out the spammy links to your blog and giveaways. Come again soon, mmkay!

xoxo
Leti